Saskatchewan makes changes to foreign worker nominee program

'We are disappointed with the federal government's decision to cut provincial nominee program allocations'

Saskatchewan makes changes to foreign worker nominee program

The Saskatchewan government has put an end to the temporary pause it imposed on the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP), and made a number of changes in reaction to the federal government’s recent moves.

The pause to the intake of Job Approval Forms (JAFs) will end immediately.

However, the SINP will not return in its previous form. Saskatchewan has implemented multiple adjustments to the program following Ottawa's decision earlier this year to reduce nomination allocations for all provincial nominee programs by 50%.

The move left Saskatchewan with 3,625 nominations, the lowest since 2009, said the provincial government. 

Earlier this year, Ottawa also added a requirement that 75% of all nominees must already be living in Canada as temporary residents, according to CBC.

"We are disappointed with the federal government's decision to cut provincial nominee program allocations," said Saskatchewan’s Deputy Premier and Immigration and Career Training Minister Jim Reiter.

Ottawa had previously announced it is reducing its immigration targets for 2025, 2026 and 2027.

Changes to Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program?

To adapt to the policy changes from the federal government, Saskatchewan is implementing the following changes to the SINP, effective immediately:

  • Approvals for candidates overseas will be prioritized for health, agriculture and the skilled trades. Recruitment for all other sectors and occupations will only be supported for candidates who are already temporary residents in Canada on a valid temporary visa.
  • Nominations for the accommodation, food services, retail trade and trucking sectors will be capped at 25% of total annual nominations.
  • Spas, salons and pet care services (excluding veterinarians) are no longer eligible to recruit through SINP.
  • The Entrepreneur, International Graduate Entrepreneur and Farm Owner/Operator categories will be permanently closed.

More details about the changes are available here.

The government of Yukon has also announced significant updates to its Yukon Nominee Program (YNP) application process for 2025.

Changes to SINP ‘prioritize economy’

The changes in Saskatchewan’s program will ensure fair access across sectors while maintaining program integrity and aligning with Saskatchewan's long-term labour market needs, said the government.

"The SINP has been essential for Saskatchewan employers seeking to hire international workers when qualified Canadians are unavailable,” Reiter said. “The changes announced today will ensure that our reduced number of nominations is used effectively and in a way that prioritizes building our economy."

The SINP will be hosting information sessions on recent program changes for employers on April 3 (10 a.m.) and April 9 (3 p.m.). Employers can register at [email protected]

In February, Ottawa announced updates to its Express Entry system for 2025, introducing a new category focused on education while continuing to prioritize in-demand sectors such as healthcare, trades, and social services.

Employers will struggle to fill open posts, says consultant

Despite Saskatchewan restarting its provincial nominee program, one immigration consultant said that the federal government’s move to put a cap on workers in certain sectors will leave some employers scrambling to fill jobs.

"A lot of restaurants and trucking companies rely heavily on foreign nationals, for drivers or cook positions," Rajdeep Singh, director of Pax Immigration Consultant, based in Emerald Park, told CBC.

 "They will definitely be struggling to meet their labour needs."

The federal government has previously made numerous changes to its immigration rules.