New plan consolidates skilled worker immigration into single route, discontinuing both Quebec Graduates and Temporary Foreign Workers streams
Many HR leaders in Quebec will need to revise their hiring strategies now that the provincial government announced it is taking decisive action to reduce both permanent and temporary immigration levels over the next four years.
Newly released 2026–2029 immigration guidelines, tabled by the Minister of Immigration, Francisation and Integration, set a cap of 45,000 permanent admissions per year.
In 2025, according to projections from the Ministry of Immigration, Francisation and Integration, Quebec is expected to welcome between 57,210 and 61,220 permanent immigrants, according to a report from La Presse.
For the first time, the province’s immigration plan addresses temporary immigration to Quebec through the two programs for which its consent is required: the Temporary Foreign Worker Program and the International Student Program. It anticipates the temporary admission of 84,900 to 124,200 people in 2026.
“The 2026-2029 planning includes, in particular, a reduction in the overall volume of temporary and permanent immigration in order to alleviate pressure on Quebec's capacity to welcome and integrate immigrants,” said the provincial government. “This planning aims to preserve the vitality of the regions and to restore a balance between Quebec's socio-economic needs and its capacity to welcome and integrate, in French, the immigrants who settle there.”
Quebec data suggests that the number of non-permanent residents (NPRs) present in Quebec increased by 103,700 people in 2024, bringing the total up to 616,600 as of Jan. 1, 2025. NPRs are mainly temporary foreign workers, international students, and asylum seekers.
“In 2024, population gains from NPRs exceeded those from permanent immigrants, although the increase was smaller than in 2023 (152,100), resulting in a lower net international migration balance,” said the provincial government.
“The number of permanent immigrants admitted in 2024 stands at 59,500, which is slightly higher than the previous year (52,800). In 2024, 48% of permanent admissions were granted to individuals who had previously held NPR status. This proportion was around 20% at the beginning of the 2010s.”
Quebec had previously proposed a 13% decrease in the number of permit holders under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) and the International Student Program (ISSP) by 2029 compared to 2024 levels.
More changes to immigration program
Quebec’s new plan consolidates skilled worker immigration into a single route. Starting Nov. 19, 2025, the Skilled Worker Selection Program (SWPSP) will be the only pathway for the permanent selection of skilled workers. The Quebec Experience Program (PEQ)—including both Quebec Graduates and Temporary Foreign Workers streams—will be discontinued, and three pilot programs for food processing, personal support, and high-tech workers will end on Jan. 1, 2026.
The government describes the SWPSP as “a more flexible, modern program, consistent with Quebec’s recruitment and settlement objectives.”
Prospective immigrants must now declare their interest through the Arrima platform, and only those whose profiles match Quebec’s needs may be invited to apply.
The provincial government is also tightening rules for temporary foreign workers. The suspension of certain Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) applications for jobs in Montreal and Laval will continue until at least Dec. 31, 2026.
“This measure aligns with the government’s objective of reducing the number of non-permanent residents in Quebec in the context of an economic slowdown, while also promoting the recruitment of workers already present in Quebec,” according to the government.
Additionally, a new French language requirement will be introduced: temporary foreign workers applying for a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) after three years of work experience in Quebec must demonstrate level 4 oral French proficiency. The regulation takes effect Dec. 17, 2025, with a three-year transition period.
“French, as the official language, is a key foundation of its cultural and social identity. It is the vehicle for the integration of immigrants,” the Quebec government emphasized.
Exemptions are provided for agricultural workers “due to their active contribution to food security, foreign nationals employed by a political division office of a foreign state […] and employees of international non-governmental organizations recognized by Quebec, as these organizations benefit from certain exemptions to the obligations of the Charter of the French Language,” the government explains, according to La Presse. Otherwise, “French language proficiency checks will begin on Dec. 17, 2028.”
Union unhappy with changes
Stakeholders are not happy with the immigration changes announced by the Quebec government.
“By abolishing the PEQ and closing the door to a clear path to permanent residency, it’s condemning thousands of integrated workers and students to live in uncertainty. This is not worthy of a Quebec that claims to be welcoming and fair,” said FTQ Secretary General Bolduc.
“This is a serious mistake. We are depriving Quebec of people who have already proven themselves, who speak French and who actively contribute to society. Rather than offering them a clear path to permanent residence, we are imposing arbitrary uncertainty on them linked to priority economic needs. This is neither a humane vision nor a vision for the future,” continues Denis Bolduc.
Bolduc also criticised the new French language requirement.
“Requiring temporary migrant workers to acquire French in three years to renew their permit, without providing the necessary resources or involving employers, is placing a collective responsibility on vulnerable individuals. French language learning must take place on the job and during working hours, with the support of businesses and the government: this is the only way to guarantee viable and sustainable French language acquisition,” adds Denis Bolduc.
Last month, Quebec’s Minister of the French Language expressed criticism of the federal government’s approach to temporary foreign workers. At a press briefing at the National Assembly, Jean-François Roberge said that Ottawa’s actions were “very clumsy” and “too tough,” especially in the province’s regions.